Ageing is a natural process of life that comes with lots of challenges, specially making it difficult to stay active. Home exercise for the elderly helps to improve their mobility, thinking, communication and physical health. There are plenty of home exercises for the elderly that they can easily perform. In this blog, we will discuss some popular home exercises for the elderly.
Remember: Before starting your exercise, you must consult with your doctor.
- Warm-up exercises:
To prepare your muscles and joints for the routine, you must begin with warm-up exercises.
Here are a few simple warm-up exercises for seniors:
– Neck Circles: Slowly and gently rotate your head in a circular motion, first clockwise and then counter-clockwise. This helps loosen up the neck muscles.
– Ankle Circles: It is the best exercise for seniors while sitting or lying down. Lift one foot and make a circular motion with your ankle. It helps to warm up the joint muscles.
– Shoulder Shrugs: Lift your shoulders up to your ears and then relax them down. This is the best home exercise for the elderly to release shoulder tension.
- Home Exercises for Seniors:
1- Strength building exercise for seniors:
– Chair Squats- This is the best home exercise for the elderly with limited mobility and balance issues.
– Wall push-ups- Wall-push-up is the best exercise for seniors to work on the upper body strength without any equipment.
– Leg Raises-The other home exercise for the elderly is leg raise, which helps strengthen the lower body and improve balance. You can do it with a sturdy piece of furniture for support.
– Arm Circles- Another exercise for seniors is Arm Circles which helps to maintain shoulder mobility and reduces stiffness.
– Standing Heel Raises- Standing heel raising is the best exercise for seniors. It helps strengthen the calves and improve balance.
– Seated Stretches- Another home exercise for the elderly is seated stretches. It improves flexibility and reduces muscle stiffness.
Staying active is crucial for the elderly, but easy-to-do exercises help them to maintain a healthy lifestyle. Home exercises for the elderly allow seniors to incorporate physical activity into their daily routines.
Nowadays NGOs for the elderly play an important role in improving senior citizens’ lives. NGOs offer age-friendly programs that help senior citizens to keep themselves healthy and active. They also create awareness on and provide training in different types of home exercises for the elderly.
Performing home exercises for the elderly should be a must and a regular part of every senior’s life.