Your support can turn a life
The objective of this service is to extend a social support system to the senior citizens. The caller most often calls with reports of feeling bored, lonely, depressed etc. because the client is living alone, children are away at work, not in the same city etc.
The only help that they would like is for someone to give them company, go out for a walk with them, accompany them or share their interests. Sometimes a concerned daughter, or relative or neighbour makes the first approach.
After ascertaining that the elderly really is in need of company, and not imposed upon by the relative, we make home visits to make sure such a desire is expressed by the elderly.
Services are rendered free of charge
Nature of Assistance Rendered
While the Social Workers receives the call, they look for registered volunteers living in the vicinity of the caller. Dignity volunteers are themselves senior in age. There are about 500 of them in three cities. They receive training in simple skills of counselling and help rendering.
The volunteers through their regular interaction with the client and their families help to first identify the areas where changes can be made to eliminate their loneliness.
The volunteer’s Help Revolves Around
- Identifying the old and defunct network of the caller with a view to revive it
- Assisting to understand issues
- Guiding with suggestions for a problem
- Of generally being a support
- Involving the client in meaningful activities
- Enriching their lives in a number of ways
- Helping to promote and cultivate interests
- Encourage meeting with other people
For Loneliness mitigation visits of volunteers call each city number of Dignity Foundation.